Bamboo Mat Making Experience
Get the chance to handcraft your own sudare bamboo mats in the graduated kasumi style during this hands-on experience. Join professionals in a sudare factory and learn the techniques behind the traditional Japanese art before making your own set of 2 to take home.
Head to Kawasaki Sudare, one of the few remaining sudare factories in Japan, to learn the craft of mat-making from an expert. Sudare are screens or blinds woven from bamboo slats and braided yarn–though the art dates back 1,400 years in Kyoto, it is a rare form of traditional art now. A professional shows you how to braid the yarn before weaving the bamboo together with it.
As you watch, learn about the different styles of sudare, which create different visual effects. After your demonstration, get the chance to make your own mats in the graduated kasumi style. Choose your preferred colors for bamboo and yarn, then get to braiding and weaving. At the end of your session, you can take your mats, which roll up for easy transportation, home with you as one-of-a-kind souvenirs.
2 small size mats ￥4,800
(29 by 20 cm)
2 large size mats ￥6,800
(40 by 30 cm)
- Art of sudare, traditional mats woven from bamboo & yarn
- Chance to learn in one of Japan’s last sudare factories
- Unique mat created with your choice of yarn & bamboo color
- Hands-on lesson that allows you to make a matching set of 2
- One-of-a-kind souvenir of a rarely practiced Japanese craft
- Guided sudare mat-making experience
- Materials to make 2 bamboo mats
- English instructions
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Know Before You Book
- Children 9 and younger are not allowed.
- Maximum group size is 5 people.
- Options for hotel pickup and drop-off and an English-speaking guide are available for an additional surcharge and can be arranged with Travel Kyoto when you call to confirm your reservation.
- An additional surcharge for making extra mats is payable on the day of your activity.
- This activity begins in Kameoka at Kawasaki Sudare, which is approximately 1 hour from central Kyoto by a combination of train and walking. You must make your own way to the meeting point.
- Hours of operation are from 10 AM, 13:00 , 15:00 . You will be able to arrange your preferred activity start time when you call to confirm your reservation.
- Check-in is 10 minutes prior to the booked tour start time.
Activity Location :
From Chiyokawa station by walk 10 minute.